Orbis Finalises sale of Satrak to Trackunit
Orbis Partners advised the shareholders of Satrak (UK) Ltd (“Satrak”), a leading provider of telematics products, on its multi-million-pound sale to Danish telematics group Trackunit A/S (“Trackunit”).
Formed in 2004, Satrak provides state of the art security tracking and telematics products designed specifically to meet the needs of operators of both commercial vehicles and mobile plant focused on the construction sector. Satrak currently has a population of 23,000 units fitted to vehicles and construction plant throughout the UK, covering both operators and hire companies.
Trackunit is a global telematics solutions business providing services to the transport, service and construction industries as well as machine OEMs. Trackunit has offices in eight countries with its headquarters based in Aalborg, Denmark and employs over 150 employees worldwide.
With the acquisition of Satrak, their installed base of telematics units exceeds 300,000 vehicles and machines globally, and also makes Trackunit the leading machine telematics provider in the UK, further strengthening their position in the European market.
I am proud of what Satrak has developed into over the past 14 years and am delighted that Orbis found a strategic buyer for the business that will continue to service and develop our valued customer base. I think this is a good time for Satrak to take a leap into the future by being part of a larger international organisation. Thank you to the Orbis team for working tirelessly to complete the transaction.
Dan Walton, Co-owner and Founder
Orbis worked with the shareholders over a 12-month period to understand the key value drivers and help prepare the business for sale. Using our knowledge of software market dynamics – specifically the telematics market – we identified and approached a small selection of both domestic and international strategic buyers. Financial backing from both Goldman Sachs and GRO Capital enabled Trackunit to strengthen its position in the European market through M&A, which provided a clear strategic rationale for their acquisition of Satrak.
- Prepared a detailed information memorandum presenting the key highlights of the business.
- Consulted with our overseas partners in Clairfield to identify international strategic buyers.
- Helped analyse the key value drivers of profitability for the business over a 12-month period.
- Led the preparation and review of the financial due diligence on behalf of the shareholders.
- Provided commercial advice on all aspects of the legal documents.
- Helped project manage the deal to completion whilst co-ordinating all other professional advisors.